Maersk says no data lost amid cyber attack

Maersk

Responding to the latest cyber security queries, Danish shipping conglomerate Maersk reassured that no data had been lost due to the cyber attack.

“While our operations and communications have been significantly affected by this virus attack, no data breach or data loss to third-parties is known to have occurred as of this date,” Maersk said in an update.

Furthermore, the transport major added that customer systems connected to Maersk were not at risk of infection, as confirmed by cyber crime analysts and agencies. As informed, the virus spreads rapidly within a company’s network, but does not spread between networks or across the internet.

Speaking of the virus in question, Maersk added that the virus attack was a previously unseen type of malware, and updates and patches applied to both the Microsoft systems and its antivirus “were not an effective protection in this particular case.”

“Once our service has returned to more normal conditions, we will conduct a full post-mortem,” the update reads.

Maersk continues to work toward full recovery, following the cyber attack on June 27, which resulted in the shutdown of the IT systems of the group’s business units, including APM Terminals.

The fully automated Maasvlakte II terminal in Rotterdam had to suspend vessel operations completely for a full week, with vessels having to reroute to other terminal facilities. 

Copyright 2017 Ships & Ports Ltd. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit given to www.shipsandports.com.ng as the source.