Flight MH370: Search to end within two weeks

  MH370

Malaysia’s Transport Minister, Liow Tiong Lai, on Friday said that the search for the missing Malaysian Airlines flight MH370 is to end within two weeks.

Lai said that despite the passengers’ relatives demand for an extension, the search is in its final stages.

He, however, expressed hope for a breakthrough over the plane’s location.

“We are on the final lap within these two weeks,” he said.

“We hope we can find the plane and we pray hard that the search will bear fruit on how to locate MH370.’’

MH370, which was bound for Beijing from Kuala Lumpur International Airport, disappeared on March 8, 2014 with 239 people on board.

READ ALSO  Greece sentences shipowner to 10 years in prison 

Experts believe the plane went massively off course.

The Australian Transport Security Bureau is leading the investigation, which has been centred on 120,000 square kilometres of the Indian Ocean.

Lai said that a tripartite meeting with the Australian and Chinese governments would be held once the search is completed and a report produced.

“There are a lot of assumptions; we cannot base anything on assumptions.

“We need credible truth to look for the plane, so we are waiting for the final report,’’ he said.

The last search vessel set off to make a final sweep across the southern Indian Ocean last month.

READ ALSO  Import documents falsification and the Nigerian economy

The families of the passengers who vanished have been adamant that the search should continue, especially after some experts said investigators may be looking in the wrong place.