Two siblings were on Friday burnt to death in an early morning inferno that razed a three bedroom flat in Lagos.
The incident occurred inside the Navy Officers’ quarters, Camp site, Kirikiri, at about 3:30am, killing two brothers aged six and nine years.
It was gathered that their father, a Navy Captain, was out of town with their mother when the incident occurred.
Our correspondent learnt that they had left their three children with their house help, identified as Patience.
Although the fire broke out when all the four occupants of the flat were fast asleep, Patience, it was gathered, rescued the couple’s first son, Ayomide, 13.
Unfortunately, the younger sons did not survive the disaster allegedly caused by an electrical surge.
The fire was said to have been put out at about 4:30am by a combined team of Fire Service, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) and policemen from the Kirikiri division.
When contacted, LASEMA’s General Manager, Micheal Akindele said the remains of the deceased were taken to Navy hospital in the area, adding that the other two occupants of the flats were treated by LASAMBUS.
He stated that they were also taken to Navy hospital for further examination and treatment.
Akindele said: “Preliminary report revealed that the fire was caused by electrical spark from one of the rooms in the building, spreading to the whole apartment.
“Prompt intervention of the fire service stopped the fire from spreading to surrounding buildings.
“I want to appeal to Lagosians that proper checks be carried out on cables and electrical installations to avoid unnecessary loss of lives and properties.”
Copyright 2017 Ships & Ports Ltd. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit given to www.shipsandports.com.ng as the source.