14 Wedding Guests Drown in Kebbi Boat Disaster

Governor Atiku Bagudu of Kebbi State has disclosed that no fewer than 97 bodies have been recovered from the recent boat mishap at Warrah, Ngaski Local Government Area of the state. Bagudu stated this in Birnin Kebbi when he received a delegation of members of House of Representatives on a condolence visit to the people and government of Kebbi over the incident. A boat from Lokon Minna, Niger, conveying traders, artisanal miners and other passengers, capsized at Warrah, Ngaski and claimed more than 100 lives on June 2. Represented by Secretary to the Kebbi State Government Babale Umar-Yauri, the governor said that the bodies had been buried while 22 people were rescued. Bagudu thanked the members for their foresight in ensuring safety in the nation’s waterways, particularly the marine transportation. He extended the goodwill message of Kebbi government to the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Femi Gbajabiamila, for his condolences, care and love to the people of the state. The delegation also visited the palace of the Emir of Yauri, Muhammadu Zayyanu-Abdullahi. Earlier, the Deputy Speaker, Ahmed Idris-Wase, who led the delegation, advocated collective efforts to effectively mitigate boat mishaps in the country. Idris-Wase said, “As leaders, all hands must be on deck to evolve correct, effective and permanent solution to mishaps of boats and canoes on the waterways. “As members, we shall examine the causes of recurring maritime transport accidents with a view to coming up with measures and avoid recurrence of mishaps. “It is a colossal loss not only to Kebbi but the entire country. “It is our fervent prayers that Allah will give their families the fortitude to bear the loss”.

 

A joyous wedding journey turned to heartbreak in Kebbi State on Monday as a crowded boat carrying celebrants capsized on the river at Gumbi village in Yauri Local Government Area, claiming the lives of fourteen people, including thirteen women and a child.

The victims had earlier accompanied a bride to her husband’s home in Gwarzo village of neighbouring Ngaski LGA and were returning to their community when the overloaded vessel overturned, plunging more than one hundred passengers into the water. Rescue efforts were unable to save fourteen of those on board.

Kebbi State Governor Nasir Idris attended the funeral prayers for the deceased and offered condolences to their families, the Yauri emirate, and the wider community. Speaking through the Chairman of Yauri Local Government, Abubakar Shu’aibu, he urged mourners to accept the tragedy as the will of God and prayed for divine mercy upon the departed.

“All that happens is by the knowledge of our Creator,” the governor said in his message. “God does as He wills, when He wills, and none may question His decree. May He forgive their shortcomings and grant them Jannatul Firdaus.”

The victims have since been laid to rest in accordance with Islamic rites, as grief-stricken communities across Yauri and Ngaski continue to mourn lives lost on what should have been a day of celebration.