Ministry: Sewol wreck to be transported to Mokpo March 30

Sunken Sewol ferry raised three years after disaster

The wreck of the ferry Sewol, which was lifted last week following overnight salvage operations, is expected to embark for the Port of Mokpo, South Korea, on March 30, the country’s Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries (MOF) said.

The preparations to relocate she ship have been completed and salvage crew has been discharging oil and water from Sewol, according to the ministry.

On March 23, the hull of the ferry, which sank three years ago with more than 300 people on board, was raised and placed on a semi-submersible vessel.

Yonhap News Agency reported earlier that the lifting and transportation of the 146-meter long ship are expected to take eight days, with an additional four days needed to move the wreck onto a dry dock.

Sewol sank off Jindo Island on April 16, 2014, killing 304 people, 250 of which were high school students on a school trip. Nine persons are still missing.

The salvage project, conducted by a Chinese consortium led by Shanghai Salvage, started in June 2016. However, bad weather and technical problems postponed the project, estimated to cost around USD 72 million, several times.

In 2016, MOF said Sewol would not be cut but hoisted in one piece in order to keep any remains of bodies, believed to be inside the wreck, intact. 

Copyright 2017 Ships & Ports Ltd. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit given to www.shipsandports.com.ng as the source.