Australia arrests Japanese ship over breach of crew change

Australia arrests Japanese ship over breach of crew change


Japanese-owned car import vessel Metis Leader has been arrested in Australia on the grounds of overdue crew changes.

The International Transport Workers’ Federation (ITF) said a number of seafarers on the Panamanian-flagged vessel had been working aboard the vessel in excess of the 11 months, the maximum permitted under the Maritime Labour Convention (MLC) and vessels flagged to Panama.

These included five seafarers on the verge of 12 months working aboard, two seafarers aboard for 14 months, and three seafarers aboard for more than 15 months, including the ship’s captain.

“All workers have a right to stop working upon completion of the contracts the initially signed up for. To deny any seafarer the ability to get off a ship and go home to their families, means that they are forced to keep working. What has happened here could give rise to a situation of forced labour,” ITF Assistant Coordinator for Australia, Matt Purcell, said.

Purcell said the ship owner’s agents, Japanese manning companies World Marine Company and WSS Shipping Agencies, attempted to stop union inspectors from coming aboard to inspect the welfare of the crew.

He added that the ship owner’s agents tried to use COVID-19 as an excuse to stop him coming aboard.

“Following the detention of the vessel by Australian Maritime Safety Authority at our urging, five crew will be repatriated from Melbourne to the Philippines, including the captain and a number of engineers. The ship is not permitted to leave port until the company gets these tired and fatigued seafarers home and replaced by fresh crew,” said Purcell.

Purcell said that the just-in-time nature of importing new vehicles means the shipping company would be losing upwards of $100,000 per day as the vessel laid idle in the waters surrounding Melbourne. The MV Metis Leader was previously due to leave the Port of Melbourne at 3pm AEST on Wednesday. At Thursday evening the ship was stuck in Melbourne, at likely significant cost to the company, Purcell added.

“We believe the intention of the Japanese owners of the ship, NYK, was to slip through Melbourne undetected and sail to Jakarta with yet another promise to the crew that they would be returned home to their families at the next port.”

The vessel passed through several countries that allow the changeover of seafarers, including Singapore.

The action is being announced as the Australian maritime safety Administration (AMSA) resumes the enforcement of the MLC requirements on maximum allowed periods for seafarers to remain at sea.

Prompted by COVID-19 crew change restrictions, AMSA adopted a more flexible approach to these rules to facilitate global trade. However, as of October 1, further contract extensions will no longer be accepted as AMSA fears for the well-being and mental health of seafarers.

“Crew change is possible in ports right across the world. We have been living with Covid-19 for eight months now, and so there is no excuse for delaying or deferring crew change,” ITF Australia Coordinator Dean Summers said.

“Repatriating crew and replacing them with a fresh team is the responsibility of employers and ship owners – and we will act to see that responsibility honoured for every single seafarer.”

Copyright Ships & Ports Ltd. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit given to as the source.