Boko Haram claims responsibility for Folawiyo jetty blast

Boko Haram leader, Abubakar Shekau, has claimed responsibility for two explosions that rocked the Folawiyo jetty in Apapa, Lagos on June 25.

In a video released by the group on Sunday, which if true would be the militants’ first recorded attack in Lagos, Shekau said: “A bomb went off in Lagos. I ordered (the bomber) who went and detonated it.”

The two blasts which occurred minutes apart last month in Apapa were almost certainly caused by bombs, according to security sources and bomb experts.

One of the blasts was said to have been carried out by a female suicide bomber.

Authorities said the blasts on Creek Road were an accident caused by a gas canister, but a British bomb expert said last week that was a cover-up meant to prevent panic in the city of 21 million people. At least two people were killed.

Shekau also claimed a bomb in a shopping mall in Abuja’s up market Wuse II district that killed 24 people, the third in the capital since April and among a growing body of evidence that its attacks are spreading southwards.



Copyright Ships & Ports Ltd. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit given to www.shipsandports.com.ng as the source.

..