The crew of the Galaxy Leader commercial ship seized by Yemen’s Iran-backed Houthis last month have been allowed “modest contact” with their families while various countries push for their release, the vessel’s owner has said.
The Bahamas-flagged car carrier was taken to the port of Hodeidah in the Houthi controlled north of Yemen after she wad boarded at sea on Nov. 19 by commandos with the group.
The vessel’s crew is made up of nationals from Bulgaria, Ukraine, the Philippines, Mexico and Romania, Galaxy Maritime said. The vessel is chartered by Japan’s Nippon Yusen.
“The safety and welfare of the crew members remains the priority of both owners and managers and the modest contact that has been allowed with crew members and their families suggests that the seafarers are being treated as well as can be expected in the circumstances.
“The 25 crew members being held have no connection whatsoever with the current situation in the region. Nothing can be achieved by their further detention,” Isle of Man registered owner Galaxy Maritime Ltd said in a statement on Monday.
The United States has blamed the Houthis for a series of attacks in Middle Eastern waters since war broke out between Israel and the Palestinian militant group Hamas on Oct. 7. Three vessels were attacked in the Red Sea area on Sunday.
Copyright Ships & Ports Ltd. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit given to www.shipsandports.com.ng as the source.