The Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) has denied allegation by the opposition All Progressives Congress (APC) that Customs operatives deployed at border stations in Kebbi and Sokoto States have been withdrawn.
The APC had on Monday alleged that Customs personnel deployed at border stations in Kebbi and Kastina States have been withdrawn on a verbal directive by an unnamed official of the federal government, raising fears of insecurity at the border post.
Reacting to the allegation, Customs Public Relations Officer, Wale Adeniyi in a statement yesterday said there was no directive whatsoever, verbal or written to its personnel posted to Kebbi/Sokoto and Kaduna/Katsina Commands to withdraw from the borders or their patrol bases.
“In view of the security situation in the country, the Comptroller General only last week directed a reinforcement of patrol teams across the country. The Sokoto/Kebbi axis was beefed up with the deployment of a special squad in view of a reported incident between Customs and smugglers.
“The Service is in consultation with Nigeria Immigration Service and other sister government agencies on this issue. They confirmed that they did not receive any such withdrawal directive.
“We are similarly in consultation with the state governments in the north-west axis to reassure them that our officers are at alert on their duty posts, and should regard the withdrawal allegation as baseless and mere speculation,” Adeniyi said.
Copyright Ships & Ports Ltd. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit given to www.shipsandports.com.ng as the source.