President Muhammadu Buhari on Monday said that the Federal Government had started mobilising the military and task forces to the oil-rich Niger Delta.
He said the step became necessary to stop the sabotage of oil facilities and kidnapping of citizens for ransom in the coastal areas of the country.
According to a statement by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Mallam Garba Shehu, the President spoke at a meeting he had with a delegation from the United States’ Institute of Peace, at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
Buhari was quoted as saying that his administration is giving the highest priority to the resettlement of displaced persons and rehabilitation of infrastructure in the North-East, ravaged by the activities of the Boko Haram sect.
The President assured the delegation that his administration’s ongoing war against corruption would be fought within the ambit of the law.
He added that mechanisms had been put in place to ensure respect for human rights in the fight against terrorism.
“We attach great importance to human rights. If there are breaches, they will be investigated and dealt with,” he said.
Buhari also welcomed the growing international support, especially from the United States and Europe, for Nigeria’s efforts to end the Boko Haram insurgency.
The President also expressed happiness with the support of Nigerians for the cardinal programmes of his government, the security of the country, the war against corruption and revival of the economy.
The leader of the delegation, Ms. Nancy Lindborg, applauded the progress being made by the Buhari administration in ensuring greater security in Nigeria.
She promised the continued assistance of the institute for the reconstruction and development work going on in the country.
Copyright Ships & Ports Ltd. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit given to www.shipsandports.com.ng as the source.