Osinbajo: We must protect farmers by ensuring we stop importation of food

osinbajo

Vice President Yemi Osinbajo on Monday renewed the Federal Government’s resolve to support farmers and operators of small scale businesses for the development of Nigeria’s economy.

Osinbajo gave the assurance during an interactive session with traders, food vendors and small business owners at the Grassroots Town Hall Meeting held in Kano.

He also assured that the federal government would continue to encourage farmers by ensuring that all processing plants were operational in the country.

“We must protect farmers by ensuring that we stop importation of food and other products into the country,” he said.

The vice president, who blamed part of the current economic recession to importation, said the federal government had taken proactive measures to support farmers and owners of small scale businesses in the country.

“There are two or three reasons why we are in a recession; the vandalism of oil pipelines, fall in price of oil as well as importation of everything, that is why we are in trouble,” he said.

He, however, said that the present administration under the leadership of President Muhammadu Buhari was doing its best to get the country out of the present economic predicament.

“We are lucky we have an honest President because the country needs honest leadership,” Osinbajo said.

He called on Nigerians to continue to cooperate and support the government in its effort to end the recession and ensure better living conditions for the citizenry.

Earlier in his remarks, Gov of Abdullahi Ganduje Kano State said the state government had concluded arrangements to build a modern market in Kano to decongest the existing markets in the state capital.

Ganduje said the market, which would cost about N500 billion, would be constructed under a Public Private Partnership arrangement between the state government and a private firm in Dubai.

According to him, the state government has already paid compensation to the owners of the land acquired for the project.

“As soon as the agreement is signed next week, work will commence in January 2017,” the governor said.

 

 

We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for Ships & Ports? Email us at tips@shipsandports.com.ng or call 0810 359 4873. You can also WhatsApp us here. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours. 

 

Copyright Ships & Ports Ltd. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit given to www.shipsandports.com.ng as the source.