Port of Long Beach container volumes weighed down by Hanjin bankruptcy 

Container volumes at the Port of Long declined 16.6 percent year-over-year in September as the effects of the Hanjin bankruptcy reached West Coast ports, the port said Wednesday.

Longshore workers moved 546,805 twenty-foot equivalent units last month. This included 282,945 TEUs in imports, down 15 percent from September 2015, a month which capped off the Port’s best quarter ever. Exports dropped to 120,383 TEUs, a decrease of 4.2 percent. Empties were 27.2 percent lower at 143,476 TEUs.

Port officials said the number of containers handled during September was impacted not only by reduced calls by Hanjin-operated ships, but also by the absence of Hanjin containers on vessels operated by fellow CKYHE Alliance members. Hanjin Shipping containers account for approximately 12.3 percent of the Port’s total containerized volume.

Cargo volumes are down 4.6 percent for the current calendar year to date in Long Beach, the port said.

 

(Visited 28 times, 1 visits today)

 

 

We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for Ships & Ports? Email us at tips@shipsandports.com.ng or call 0810 359 4873. You can also WhatsApp us here. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours. 

 

Copyright Ships & Ports Ltd. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit given to www.shipsandports.com.ng as the source.



Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!