“We welcome the release of the two U.S. citizens who were kidnapped from the M/V C-Retriever. For privacy reasons, we will not provide any additional information,” a State Department official said in a statement.
“It is the policy of the United States not to pay ransom or encourage the payment of ransom money,” the statement added.
Earlier, Nigerian pirates were said to have released two U.S. sailors kidnapped from an oil supply vessel off the coast of Nigeria last month. The release of the two men was later reported by CNN, citing confirmation from U.S. State Department spokeswoman Jennifer Psaki.
The two men were released over the weekend and were on their way home, according to two U.S. officials.
SHIPS & PORTS DAILY had reported that the Captain and Chief Engineer of the Edison Chouest-owned, US-flagged platform supply vessel C-Retriever were kidnapped by pirates in the Gulf of Guinea on October 23.
Reports said the men were released unharmed after a ransom was paid.
Copyright Ships & Ports Ltd. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit given to www.shipsandports.com.ng as the source.